Favourite quote

What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived.
It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.
- Nelson Mandela

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Happy Birthday Auckland

This weekend is Auckland's 175th birthday, with our waterfront venues pumped up for tomorrows big sailing regatta. The wharfs are open to the public, lots of audio-visuals of our city founding fathers (& mothers).
Josie and I popped down to see the preview for tomorrows big events, but first a light breakfast at the art gallery and a look around.


























So we eventually walked to the bottom end of Queen St to see what was happening on the wharf, the displays, the open access to one of our navy patrol boats, horse & cart rides, some police motorbikes that the public could have photos on (as would I, had I shaved my legs) and of course a market for t-shirt sellers etc. I would guess the ice cream man did well today, and tomorrow would probably make a months worth of sales. Other wharfs also had events, be we ran out of time to visit them.







































A fun morning outing, but I was sweating under this heat, and the wig didn't help keep me cool.


So if your in Auckland, get down and celebrate our city's birthday,
and if you can't be here, I hope you're having a great weekend.

No comments: