Favourite quote

What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived.
It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.
- Nelson Mandela

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Am I tough enough

 As a young person, I did a bit of time camping. In those days there was a tarp for a floor and a tent over the top. I've spent a lot of years since, getting used to some really comfortable mattress.

I though this weekend, I might try to re-discover my younger self. I bought a tent, dusted off the old sleeping bags and headed off.

After a few hours I arrived at my camp site around 6pm. It was already night but with a bit of moonlight I was set up within 5 minutes.



I had forgotten that between our current hours of darkness and bed time there is about 4 hours. I think I got bored around 9pm and fell asleep. It was quite a good sleep, but I did have to climb out at 4.44am for a toilet stop - yes it was raining and unpleasant standing outside, but I was soon asleep once more.

I was planning on tramping up a mountain, but as it was an advanced track in summertime, without the 6 hours of heavy rain that I woke up too. On some sections they have chains to help people haul themselves up, but having slippery mud tracks just makes it bad, not fun. So instead I decided on a walk around Hamilton Gardens to see what's new. I loved the new stuff, chatted to quite a few people including a group of young ladies (23ish).




At the cafe, having a late morning tea. As I was leaving, one lady approached and said "hi, lovely morning" and I responded in kind, while she full body scanned me - Actually while she was probably 10 years older, she was still attractive so I didn't complain and kind of regretting I didn't have a longer conversation. I'm not sure what was going on as on my way out of the gardens, about 200 older people were coming in as a group, with name tags and boxes of stuff.

No comments: